Monday, July 07, 2008

Our 2nd wedding anniversary is coming up in less than 24 hours. Weird. On one hand, it feels like we've been together forever. On the other hand, I remember our wedding like it was yesterday. Two years, though. That's hardly anything. Though to be fair, we've known each other for 13 years now.

We've been lazy about getting errands done and cleaning the house. We've run out of excuses, though. Whateley's parents are coming to visit in just 10 days, and we still don't have the guest bedroom ready. And they're all prim and proper people, so I'm guessing they won't just live out of their suitcases like my family does.

Life is just plodding along. Things aren't changing, but considering the amount of change I've been through in the past two years, I'm a bit glad for the boringness of non-change. But as life goes on and we get involved in the lives of our friends, I'm so very, very glad that I have Whateley, and we are in it together. Life can be hard and difficult, and I do have to say, it'd be much more hard and difficult doing it by yourself.

Though, I do have to say, things aren't by all means rosy and happy like the movies. It still takes a lot of work. I think I've seen more zombie movies in the past three years than I had ever seen previously combined. And I've eaten less fish per year than I used to average per month. Whateley feels bad about it, but I'm not going to force him to eat more fish, and I'm certainly too lazy to cook separate meals of fish just for myself. Not to mention, I'm not too crazy about the frozen fish selection at Costco, and I don't go shopping often enough to get fresh fish from the markets. (He has, however, discovered that he likes California Rolls. So the next time we go get sushi, he'll happily get a few of those.)

Now that we have a house, Whateley and I are finding ourselves to be real homebodies. Which is cool since our friends don't have houses (or else they have roommates) so our house became the hang-out place. I'm reminded of my rich aunt in SoCal (I'll call her Aunt Luna in my internet world) whose house is the hang-out place for our family. Every family gathering is pretty much held at her place. But her house is the largest, there's plenty of space for everyone to hang out without getting into each other's faces. Not to mention my grandparents live with them, and that means they don't have to get in a car and be driven for an hour to get to someone else's house.

Anyway, what's cool about having our house be the hang-out place is that we don't have to worry about getting to someone else's place on time (though we do have to worry about cleaning up before everyone gets here) and we don't have to worry about driving late at night or drinking. For 4th of July, everyone came over and we got steaks from Costco which we cooked on the Griddler. And then other people brought more meat and some side dishes and booze. And the steaks were really, really good. As were the margaritas. :-)

And the great part about that was that both Whateley and I could drink (though I certainly drank more than Whateley...) and not have to worry about being sober enough to drive home. We just had to crawl upstairs and climb into bed. And hope we wouldn't throw up.

Anyhoo, not much more news to report. This summer is definitely hotter than last, and not as wet either. Which is good, I guess, for guests. But not so good for our lawn. Lame that there's tons of humidity but it doesn't get cold enough in the mornings for it to dew, so our lawn ends up parched still. Blah humidity!

No comments: