Saturday, October 18, 2008

My realm's down, so I actually have time to post!

This will a more thoughtful post. Anyway, I was thinking earlier tonight about my job. It's been kinda tough since today was overtime day. Technically we've been working about 46 to 48 hrs on the week we have it. And it looks like there is no end in sight. Things picked up for us and will only get busier as the holidays approach.

Still, as I see it, I do enjoy my job. I like my co-workers, I like the company, and I even like helping customers, as rude as they can be. In fact, my only complaint is the low-ish pay (well, customer service in general is low) and having to take a crappy schedule if you want to advance.

Anyway, I was thinking, being in Austin, I could really try pursuing a career doing 3d animation/modeling. But doing that would require me putting a lot of time into building my skills back up, making a decent reel, and networking. And a lot of that kind of work is also contracted, so it's not steady and you constantly have to be searching for the next gig. And since the bulk of that work is offered by the video game industry, where companies are notoriously one title away from folding, it's a risk with every job you take that that company won't be around the next year.

I was thinking that while it would be nice to pursue an artistic career, I'm really enjoying spending time with Whateley, playing WoW together, just doing things together (and having the time to do so), and basically not stressing out about climbing the ladder. And when we start raising kids, I definitely want to be there for them. I mean, my parents raised me and my sibs with less money than we're making. And I just want to make sure I can be there for the big moments.

Well, I can't say for sure I'll be where I'm at in 10 years, but I'm kinda happy being where I am for now. Laterz!

No comments: