Thursday, August 04, 2005

The problem with dome theaters is that when you're lying down on the floor and you've been up since 4:30 am for three days in a row, you are going to fall asleep no matter how hard you try. And it's extra embarassing when you wake up and realize the show's over and all the other people have left.

So... comments from this year's SIGGRAPH convention... not as much schwag, not as much must-be-present-to-win drawings, no art contests, and the most annoying of all, no access to the galleries or the animation theater, which means that I'm just left to wander around looking at booths and playing around in the hands-on guerilla studio. Not that I'm complaining. Well, yes I am. Anyway, I'm glad at least for the access to the guerilla studio, even if I'm not really doing anything, just cuz it means that I can post a blog entry while waiting for my motion capture appointment, though the best part really is the ability to play with the oh-so-expensive hardware that I just dream of owning. My personal favorite? The new Wacom Cintiq tablet, the one where you draw directly on the screen. It only retails for about $2500. I should be able to find that under the couch cushions.

I've taken the bus here for all three days, though today might be the first time I actually take the bus back. That's the thing about having to work in the morning. I was all, "oh I can't carpool with my housemates so I'll just have to meet up with them later but I'll take the bus so I don't have to pay for expensive parking" but when you only have a limited access, even the most die-hards seem to not want to come the last day. So I arrived at the convention center, called Dave, and I asked him where he was, and his response is "still in Santa Monica." And it looks like he's not going to show. There just hasn't been enough of a draw to go through the trouble, I guess.

Back to the dome theaters, I've seen three shows (been fully awake through one of them) and it's pretty darn neat. It really does feel like you're surrounded and there's a 3D show playing throughout the ceiling.

Okay, the motion capture session beckons.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Motion capture this buddy! Didja see that, I just gave you a flower, aren't I nice.

SuperLefty said...

aw, how sweet!

anyway, where was the SIGGRAPH convention held? with the dome and all, you'd think it was in hollywood at the arclight. "P