Thursday, March 03, 2005

Uh... uh... uh....

So I got a new car yesterday. Or more precisely, my parents bought me a new car yesterday. My car, having died last weekend, has forced me to abuse the generosity of my roommate and wake him up at 4:45 in the morning to drive me to work. Anyway, my mom talked about how I should get a new car, and since I can't afford to buy one myself, they'll pay for half the down payment and the monthly payments (and insurance, etc). Now... I feel rather guilty. They don't have money. Period. It's only cuz we had that land deal recently that this is even an option. I'm just worried that I'll have a new car and my parents won't be able to pay the mortgage and the bank will foreclose. Eh.

And the worst of it is, even though the car salesman is a relative (he's the grandson of my grandfather's older sister), I think he ripped us off. He used all the classic sleazy salesman techniques, and my parents fell for it hook, line, and sinker. They can't conceive of the idea that other Koreans (or even relatives) will screw you. My father even said to me that since he's going to get ripped off anyway, he might as well let a relative do it.

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

I have to remind myself that they are adults, they have their own minds, and if they refuse our advice, then there's nothing more we can do. And since they are paying for my car, I just have to let them do stupid things.

I guess that's why even though the car is great (no, it's bee-yoo-tee-full!), it's hard to get excited about something that was obtained under not-so-smart situations.

It's one of those times where I have to trust in God that everything's under His control. But honestly, I don't know if we were brought into this world to save my parents from themselves.

Anyway, depressing issues aside, the new car really is beautiful. I've never had a new car before, and it was so weird to see the odometer read "18" when I drove off the lot. (And I tripled the mileage in one day! Oh no!) It's a new 2005 Honda Civic LX sedan, and it's the no-frills model, but dagnabit, it's got a radio! And a CD player! And cup-holders! And the windshield wipers actually wipe the windshield! And it's so cleeeeeeeeeeean!

Okay, so maybe you'll get an idea of what my last car was like.

No comments: