Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Today was just not a good day to get any work done. So I caught up on some TV and played a little CoH.

I've decided to give up on The O.C. next season. Now, of all the teen soap operas out there, I think it's the best cuz it's got a certain tongue-in-cheekiness as well as Adam Brody (though even he goes a little overboard sometimes). I gave up on One Tree Hill a long time ago, cuz not only did I not have the time, but the stories were getting absolutely unbelievably inane.

Anyway, I'm giving up on The O.C. because it is scheduled on the same night as Alias, so Alias wins out. Just as well. I should be paring down my TV-watching, though I see watching cartoons as "research." Seriously, I swear!

I say this because over the weekend, Tivo erased last week's episode of The O.C., and I still had enough shows to catch up on.

I accidentally tuned in to MTV's My Life (Translated), and it was a fascinating show, mainly because how the host's life so mirrored my own, and yet it doesn't. But it's true, there is no show out there for bicultural kids, and it's wacky and weird to everyone else, yet makes perfect sense to millions out there. Sigh. I wonder if I ever have to move to a foreign country where I don't know the language and work really hard and sacrifice to pin all my hopes on my kids... well, I wonder if I could ever handle that. Hmm....

The part that really hit me was the part where her mom said that she had no life, that her life was to live for her kids. It really reminded me of my mom. I think now that we are all out of college (well, at least we all have college degrees) and out of the house, she's gotten better at focusing on herself and my dad, but I know that she still worries, far too much, because her life had been 100% for the kids while we were growing up, and it's still about 70% for us (though dwindling due to middle-age mellowness), and that can be just hellish on the kids. Sigh. I mean, I wouldn't be where I am if my parents hadn't pushed me as hard as they did. But on the other hand, I might not be so... like my mom, if they hadn't pushed me like they did. Sigh.

No comments: