Sunday, June 10, 2007

So far, I have mixed feelings about Austin. I like our new office building, I love that we can afford to live on our own without forking over half our paychecks to rent, and I'm starting to like the quirkiness of a college town. It remind me of Berkeley... without as much homeless people. And since it's the summer, it's actually the quiet time of the year, which is the opposite of places like Santa Monica, which is a tourist town and summers get busy. Supposedly there's a millionaire homeless man (or woman... I mean, with a name like Leslie it's hard to tell) that likes to run for mayor.

But the humidity is driving me nuts! Which is sad cuz my skin's never been better. But I really hate having my clothes cling to me when I step outside for five minutes. We got our first electric bill, and sigh, air conditioning is going to bankrupt us. Well, it's not that bad, our computers and TiVO probably suck up more juice, but still....

And the freeways and roads don't make sense. It just doesn't. I mean... it sort of does if you think about it, but you do wonder why they decided to do it that way. For one thing, each freeway (or highway) has an access road that runs alongside it that goes one way. Each cross street has a loop that lets you get from one access road to the other side access road. My question is, why have access roads at all? Why not just have regular two way roads, and have on and off ramps off cross streets? You don't know how many times we've stayed in the left most lane expecting to make a left turn only to end up making a U-turn because we entered a loop.

I do have to say, if there's one place we've really come to like, it's the Kerbey Lane Cafe. Well, there's four locations, but it's not a chain. They try to focus on natural, organic food with especially locally grown produce. And the best part is they're open 24-hrs a day. Whateley and I have been making a weekly date that on Saturday nights, after our shift ends, we go there and begin our weekend. We've invited other people to go with us, and tonight was the first time we've actually had people accept. Which is weird since we're both not social butterflies, and we rarely plan things and try to get people together. So it was just a bunch of nerds and geeks hanging around talking about WoW and whatnot. We discovered that the men's bathroom has a fountain like sink where the water just flows in sheets... and the women's has a plain faucet. So not fair. Whateley was going to sneak me in to look but a couple of burly guys were in there, so we decided against it.

Anyway, if anyone will actually come visit us, we're totally taking you to Kerbey Lane Cafe. And maybe to see the bats go out in the evening. We haven't even done that yet.

1 comment:

SuperLefty said...

i'll be out as soon as i can. i could use the escape, but trying not to escape these days. :) did you check out the rachael ray list?