Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Schedule this week:
Tue -- no school!, meeting up w/ friends
Wed -- 8:30 am to 4 pm, then hanging out w/ Robert
Thu -- no school!, doc appt
Fri -- 6:15 pm to 12:15 am
Sat -- morning hike w/ sister's fellowship
Sun -- church

I little more news on the job angst front. A church friend commissioned me to design a logo (well, design a logo after coming up with a name) for his company. In two weeks. If I can pull this off, it goes all to God. Another church friend told me he has contacts that could possibly get me a job doing graphic design in the technology field. Technically, it's not quite the job I want in not quite the field I want, but... it's better than where I'm at? I'm wondering if it would help me or hinder me, since the issue of schooling would figure into it. Urgh! (And why am I asking faceless internet voyeurs for career advice?)

I finally saw my doctor today (my new doctor... who I chose rather randomly off my insurance provider's website) and got a referral to see a dermatologist, whom I will see this Thursday. I mentioned how I used everything for my acne including Retin A and Accutane, but the last thing I used was Proactiv and that's when my skin problem got worse, meaning the acne was gone but so was the moisture. She said that she had patients who came in using Proactiv with worse problems. Well, it's a crapshoot, I guess. It works for a lot of people, but not all of them.

She also said something else, but before I go on with my story, this is a warning that what I'm about to share is of the female persuasion and therefore, if you feel like it will be too much information and you'd be uncomfortable knowing this about me, then stop reading. (Hey, I'm not uncomfortable sharing. It's all medical.)



Anyway, so we're going through the list of medical history stuff, and she asks me if I'm sexually active and I reply no, and she asks me if I'm a virgin and I say yes. Then I launch into my story of how I've been menstruating now for fourteen years and my periods are still irregular and coming every 3 to 4 months though it was 7 months before my last one. Well she says that next week we can do a complete physical including a pap smear (and possibly an ultrasound to check out my ovaries) but since I'm a virgin we should take care to preserve the membrane.

Yep. The membrane. Y'see, my doctor is Pakistani, and I realized that that is a big thing in her culture. One of the big thing among middle-eastern girls is the hymen-repair surgery. Anyway, I just laughed and told her I didn't care about that and that I just wanted to make sure I'm healthy. Anyway, I found that funny. I mean, I suppose being able to bleed on your wedding night is... nice... I guess, but the whole saving-yourself-for-marriage thing is more a heart issue than a physical one. Besides, I've been using tampons for years. Even if I've got barely any membrane left, that doesn't mean I'm not a virgin.

Anyway, it's about time I see a doctor about my womanly problems. Every time I share about my irregular schedule, most people are rather alarmed. I even posted about it on WebMD and the nurse replied that it's not normal (though perfectly alright). A part of me's kinda worried that maybe there's a problem there that's been festering for a decade.

No comments: