Saturday, July 23, 2005

Alright, alright, no spoilers here, though mainly cuz I can't quite think of what to say about Harry Potter that hasn't been seen already. Well, actually, there's one thing that I want to talk about the Harry Potter world. I promise, no spoilers.

So, we've read in previous books that Charlie Weasley was off studying dragons. Well, I'm wondering, what does that mean? Cuz from what we've read, there's no mention of wizard university. It's kinda weird to think that people's careers begin at high school graduation. I mean, sure they study a lot, and they probably know a lot about magic upon graduation, but I don't know any Muggle that knows what he wants to do after high school graduation, so what would make wizards any different? I did a lot of growing up and finding myself in college (not as hokey as it sounds, but in essence, true). I remember in Prisoner of Azkaban that the third years had to start taking different subjects (kinda like electives, I guess), and lot of the people just chose topics at random cuz at thirteen, you don't know what you want to do in life. Anyway, my point about Charlie was that was he studying dragons at some wizard university, or was he in the field studying it, like Jane Goodall?

Oh, and I wonder, why don't these kids study non-magical subjects like English and math? Cuz, I'm thinking, even if you can do magic, you should be able to write and do arithmetic. I was looking through jkrowling.com, and in the FAQ, she said that most kids from wizarding families are home-schooled until the age 11, when they go off to Hogwarts. That's kinda funny to think that you go from this insular setting of being at home 24/7, and then you go off to boarding school.

Ah well... I guess I'm just getting picky. After all, the whole point of the novels aren't to describe "real life as if there was magic" but more of this fantasy world where all you really needed to worry about are various spells and potions and other magical things.

=====================================

I'm off to Vegas next week, so I may not be able to post all week (yeah, like what's the difference, right?). But I'll try to keep things up-t0-date. There are so many thoughts throughout my day that I would like to blog about, but when the time comes, I either forget, or it's not interesting anymore, or there's something else I want to blog about.

=====================================

One more thing about Harry Potter, it's been so long since I read Order of the Phoenix, that as I was reading Half-Blood Prince, I was I couldn't remember what happened in the previous book. I mean, I couldn't remember what the D.A. was, or barely what happened at the Ministry. I just know that Sirius died, though his death was a little too quick and uneventful to be fishy. Well, it looks like I shall have to stop by my parents' place to collect my Harry Potters. Perhaps even introduce them to my housemates. Heh heh. I can just imagine looking at the sheer page count of all the books so far.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well for your math and english thing. Remember most Wizards are incredibly inept at the Muggle-world. They don't know how any of our technology works. And honestly if Muggles decided to wipe out Wizards, I'm sure it could happen. Basically because you figure out where Hogwarts is, or Diagon Alley, or the Ministry of Magical Affairs, or whatever. And shoot off an ICBM. If you hit all the Wizard targets in one go, they won't have magic ready to counter them. Plus nuclear missles work best when exploding ABOVE the target, not actually hitting it. And I don't know, but I doubt a magical ward has ever had to deal with a thermonuclar blast... or the resulting deadly radiation. Which is why I think Wizards hide from Muggles. But yeah Wizards have almost no concept of Muggle technology or the hellish forces it could unleash.

As for the deaths in the books. I think J.K. Rowling is actually (gasp) a poor writer in one regard. She gets so attached to her characters that she can't kill one of them on camera. They all die off camera, which leaves some question if they are really dead or not. We never see Sirius vaporise or choke to death in the inky-blackness. The person who dies in "Half-Blood Prince," falls to death and we never see this person hit the ground, only him fall and him land. Considering we see a fair amount of gore in book 6, it's odd.

황명록 beno hwang said...

ha ha ha, u make some good pts, if u ask me. how does wizardry fit into the akademic world. heh heh... maybe wizardry should be taught only in graduate skool... like, medicine or law... imagine that: u'd need a 4.yr degree to start wizard skool, heh heh...