Tuesday, October 11, 2005

I got a haircut recently from the Vidal Sassoon Academy. I figured, hey, it's right by where I work, it's cheap, and I could use the hair cut. So I got this trendy layered-do, but it took 3 HOURS for the student to cut my hair! I mean, when the front office lady said to expect 2 to 3 hours, I thought it'd be closer to two than three. When I get the time to style it properly, I'll take a picture and post it on this here blog. Anyway, I did get a nice haircut, and next time I'll be sure to schedule it better so that I don't end up being late to class. And if I can help it, I will try to get a person who seems to be a fast learner.

Anyway, on other issues... well, I found out that I'm pissing off my manager by being late a lot. Well... not late a lot. Usually I'm there within 5 minutes of the start of my shift. There were a few times I was 10 minutes late. And geez, the same day that my manager "warned" me about my constant lateness, one of the shift lead pulled me aside and told me that she "wants all of us to hustle a little more in the mornings so that we can be ready to just serve customers when we open the doors." I got a bit pissed off at that. First off, it's frickin' 5 in the morning. Second, I think I was moving at a decent pace. I've been at the job for over two years now (omg kill me) and I've become very effecient with my movements. And I refuse... REFUSE to run around for this job. They do not pay me enough to do that. They're lucky if I even speed walk. And that's the thing. If they want crappy quality at a hurried pace, I'll do it. But I have this... I don't know... weird sense of pride in my work (as sucky as it is) and I want to provide quality rather than breakneck speed. I feel like yelling at the corporate office that we are not a fast-food joint, and to demand that during a rush a customer should be in and out the store in 3 minutes is... well, it's not realistic. Unless they want crappy fast-food coffee. Hell, I can make fast crappy coffee. (Oh, you want soy? Well, it'll be mostly soy. You want fresh espresso? Well, it's been pulled sometime that morning!)

Anyway, my readers (including you, Anonymous, who I have no idea who you are!) please feel free to comment. I hope that when I get a job at a studio, they won't jump down my throat for being 5 minutes late. Hell, I might even be so happy to be there that I will be there early just to tinker with the equipment before other people arrive.

4 comments:

황명록 beno hwang said...

yeah, some jobs really need their employees to be in on time. sucks, but yeah. think 'bout how joon got fired from the rsf cos he was always late. rt now, my job doesn't really have a strict daily schedule. i still feel bad if i come in later than most ppl. also, i know i hafta be on time to meetings. not having a strict scheudle can suck in ways 2 tho': the ppl that come early think i come late. the ppl who come late n' leave early think i leave 2 early, u know? if we all came in @ the same time, then there wouldn't be ne question 'bout it, rt? @ the same time, i don't get paid 4 overtime n' rarely werk only 40 hrs a wk. ~beno

SuperLefty said...

yup. definitely understand the pitfalls of a "flexible" schedule. but the key is not to exploit the flexibility or let others exploit your flexibility.

and i'm still confused...you were very late or you were late often? both are pretty bad in the unforgiving service industry, but you know that.

and dude, stop taking opening shifts! you're not a morning person. accept it! (i say this because i love you.) ")

Artiste said...

I've been a little late often. For the most part, it really depends on who's in charge. My store doesn't seem to mind it too often, but it seems that the manager is a bit more stickler about it than the assistant managers.

Anonymous said...

two things-- late is late, tragically. but before it seems that i'm siding with the manager, she IS a jackass for pulling YOU aside and wanting all of you to hustle a little more.

Good luck on the better job hunt.