Sunday, March 12, 2006

Okay, say what you will, but the best $13 I spent was on a flu shot last October.

How else can you explain that in our household, Whateley and our two roommates got sick (not at the same time, but as soon as one ended the other began) and I alone did not get sick? It's not like we're the cleanest people in the world, and because of my eczema I touch my face a lot (I shouldn't, I know, but when it itches, I do it unconsciously), and yet, I alone did not get sick. I even kissed Whateley while he was sick, and I did not get sick. I tell you, IT'S THE FLU!

But the others were convinced it wasn't the flu because they weren't getting any nausea. Well, I found this excerpt on weather.com (emphasis is mine):

What are Symptoms of the Flu?

Influenza, also known as the flu, is a contagious disease that is caused by the influenza virus. It attacks the respiratory tract in humans (nose, throat, and lungs). The flu is different from a cold. Influenza usually comes on suddenly and may include these symptoms:
  • Fever
  • Headache
  • Tiredness (can be extreme)
  • Dry cough
  • Sore throat
  • Nasal congestion
  • Body aches
These symptoms are usually referred to as "flu-like symptoms."

What about "Stomach Flu"?

Many people use the term "stomach flu" to describe illnesses with nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea. These symptoms can be caused by many different viruses, bacteria, or even parasites. While vomiting, diarrhea, and being nauseous or "sick to your stomach" can sometimes be related to the flu – particularly in children – these problems are rarely the main symptoms of influenza. The flu is a respiratory disease and not a stomach or intestinal disease.

In fact, I remember from the food handling class that there is no such thing as the "24-hr flu." Those are actually cases of food poisoning. BTW, food poisoning = not much fun.

So, here's my message to you, if you get a flu shot, you will never regret it.




1 comment:

황명록 beno hwang said...

earlier this winter, they had free flu shots @ my office, so i got 1. a bunch'f us got sick really soon after. s'pposedly, it wasn't cos'f the shot; but well... it sucks when u go get a shot to keep from getting sick n' then still get sick rt 'way. :-/