Thursday, March 23, 2006

What can I say, almost three months of non-working has made me very weak. I've got no energy or stamina to last an 8-hr day. Either that, or I'm just sick.

Anyway, this week has been busy for me. I started working as a cafe seller at a nearby Borders. It's a lot like working for Starbucks, only less busy and the hours are less crazy. But yeah, less money, less benefits, no perks. Well, except that as part of the training process, I've been tasting pastries and drinks. So... caffeine, my old friend and enemy, we meet again. So why did I take a pay cut and less benefits to work at a Seattle's Best rather than a Starbucks? (Especially since SBC is owned by Starbucks) Well, it's a long story, and even I'm not sure of the reasons, but I think the main one was because one of my roommates already works there, so I know of the store politics and dynamics already, everybody else in this household works for Borders (for this week, anyway, before Whateley ships off to his new and improved job elsewhere), and basically, this cafe is very calm and not-busy, which is the opposite of Starbucks, and I knew I wouldn't be tired out after a shift like I was at Starbucks. And right now, my sanity and strength is more important than a few extra bucks an hour. Why? Read on.

So yeah, I got meself an internship at Zoic Studios, the place that does the effects for Battlestar Galactica (along with Serenity and Firefly). So far I've only been there one day, and it's been exhausting. I think it was partly because I didn't get much sleep the night before, but also because it took me an hour and a half to get there in the first place. Stupid big rig stalled on the freeway!

Anyway, being an intern basically means being a grunt, a go-fer, a runner. (Carousel... carousel...) And all that driving made my lower back ache like crazy. I think I will have to get one of those lower back car pillows.

So ask me in five months if this internship experience was a good one. I have hopes, so hopefully the answer will be yes.

2 comments:

SuperLefty said...

hooray! wait, does this mean you don't have time to go horseback-riding?

Artiste said...

I do, but we gotta time it right. How about the Thursday of my Spring Break?
April 13th, I think.