Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Vegas was fun... though Whateley and I decided we are Vegas-ed out for the moment. We need to give that city another year for everything to reset and for old things to become new again. Besides, how much money can you shovel into Megabucks with nary a multi-million-dollar-jackpot before you give up?

We stayed at the Hilton so that we could stagger up to our room after getting drunk at the Trek bar instead of having to sober up to drive afterwards. But then we had the dinner buffet not too long before the Trek bar, so we didn't get drunk. Damn. And our room sucked. The view was nice (who knew there was a giant golf course beside the Strip?), but our bathtub drain was really slow.... and they didn't do anything to fix that while we were there. Nuth-thing. So the Hilton -- not a great hotel. In fact, the only reason to stay there is if you're attending a convention in their convention center. While we were there, they had the "Alien Encounters Convention." Sweeeeeet.

Anyway, that little trip ended up costing us about what I made on the freelance job, but then Whateley used a floating holiday... so money-wise, we're at what we'd have been at had I not had that freelance job and Whateley didn't have a floating. Dead even?

Speaking of money, I have the opportunity to move out of the cafe into selling books. The pay would be the same (I think... it's all kinds of hazy about exactly when I'm suppose to get a raise) but I wouldn't get tips. But on the other hand, I wouldn't have to deal with all the stupid people who come in and order Frappuccinos. I used to think that was funny when Whateley complained about that years ago. Back then, I was working for Dr. Evil's Evil Empire, so I was used to making Frappuccinos. But now, it's just damn annoying. I mean, Starbucks isn't the only frickin' coffeeshop in the whole world. Geez, all it takes is looking at our frickin' aprons, or the millions of Seattle's Best signs frickin' everywhere. Now, if you came in and asked if we had something similar to a Frappuccino, I don't mind. But frickin-a, don't just waltz in and order a frickin' Frappuccino! When a lady ordered a "tall soy latte" today, I felt like saying, "so you want a large soy latte? Okay!" Then have her stammer out, no, I said tall, and I'd say, yeah, tall, as in large, right, cuz we only have small, medium, and large here, like normal coffee shops.

But no... I'm too nice... or more like, too chicken to put a customer in their place like that, cuz I'm too ingrained in the "treat the customers right" mentality that I've been brainwashed with. Not to mention, if they complain, I could get fired.

People, PEOPLE!!! Don't be that person! Don't be that stupid customer that orders whatever without even checking to see if they have that item in the first place! Don't be that stupid customer who assume every coffeeshop is a Starbucks! Above all, DON'T BE A STUPID CUSTOMER!!!!!

2 comments:

황명록 beno hwang said...

ever since kaela signed up 4 the borders reward card thingy, i've been patronising borders more. so... can u get us a big di$count on books? i guess there r a few books that i wouldn't mind having.

even tho' i've always antogonised the big green coffee corporation, i realised now that, for an evil corporation, they're actually on the nicer side, in that supposedly their politcal praktices r ok n' all. yah, i've always beeen annoyed by the tall, grande, venti system. i don't like it. also i don't like how frapps r made from syrup. how 'bout @ sbc? do u make ur blended drink from syrup or from real coffee like peet's?

Artiste said...

Well, the Starbucks frapp base is rehydrated dehydrated coffee. But since SBC doesn't have the volume of sales, we could make it the old fashioned way and make it using actual coffee (it's Toddy). But the main difference is that the Starbucks frapps are flavored with syrups, but SBC flavors most of theirs with sauce (like real caramel instead of caramel-flavored syrup). I think it tastes better... though not as sweet.

As for books, I can buy them with my discount... but they'd be my gift to you and you'll have to then give me a gift of money. The only person who can "use" my discount directly is Whateley.