Sunday, March 28, 2004

I've told this to a gazillion people, but if you're the gazillion-and-oneth person who hasn't heard this, this is a bumper sticker that I saw once:

Friends help you move.
Best friends help you move bodies.

Heh heh. Today I did the former for a couple of church friends. Well, church friends that are a couple. It was kinda tough since my sleep pattern's been wacked and I was a bit tired, but I had a drink during my shift this morning (quadruple grande hazelnut latte) and took home a drink afterwards (triple venti raspberry white mocha) so in all I had a total of seven shots of espresso. One of the other guys helping with the move (who's a pharmacy-grad-student) said that that's not very healthy since too much caffeine at once can cause heart reactions. He's probably right. I don't think I'm addicted, but I did start out my shift really tired and a bit headachy, but after the first drink I felt normal. I'm guessing that's not good. But I don't normally need caffeine to get through the day, though lately I've had caffeine almost every day. The only reason why I don't have it every day is that I haven't been working every day (that I'm not in school, that is, since at school I tend to drink soda). Hmm... perhaps I am addicted and just in denial?

There are a few of you that I've been whining to lately about my career-direction (or lack thereof) and how I'm itchin' to get out of Chino. Especially with the recent store drama, I realize that no matter what BS I said, I don't want to stay with Starbucks, even beyond the two to three years I mentioned at the beginning. I seem to go through these ideas in spurts cuz a few months ago I was looking at job ads in the Santa Monica/West LA area and at rental listings to see how much they averaged. I asked the Starbucks near my school how much their starting pay was, and it was the same as here. At that rate, I couldn't even afford to share a room with someone else.

So could I get some feedback from you, my loyal readers? Do you think I should keep doing what I'm doing (work part-time at Starbucks and go to school almost-full-time) so I can develop a reel and look for jobs a year or so from now but for now be stuck in the boondocks, or should I instead get a full-time job in West LA area and move out there and attend school part-time so that I can be closer to the industry and thus have a better chance at internships and/or entry-level non-artistic jobs at industry companies (i.e. a receptionist)?

Finally, my schedule for next week:

Mon -- 7:30 am to 12:30 pm
Tue -- school
Wed -- 4:15 to 8:30 pm
Thu -- school
Fri -- 6:00 am to 1:45 pm
Sat -- family wedding in the afternoon
Sun -- church, then 6:15 to 10:45 pm

No comments: