Thursday, January 06, 2005

I don't think I can delete double comment entries. And I know of a certain someone that would copy a previous comment entry to make me think it was a double post. Evil. And yes, it was a typo. I meant "thespian" though perhaps a "thesbian" would be a lesbian thespian, which, of course, I wouldn't be. Not much, anyway. There are certain people that have accused me of being in love with Jadzia Dax from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Hey, I just think she's cool. Not blatantly hot like Seven of Nine. And Robert's accused me of being in love with Barbara Gordon (aka Oracle fmrly Batgirl) of the short-lived series Birds of Prey. I have this thing for redheads. I think if I could pull it off, I'd be a redhead. There's a reason why Falcon Girl's a redhead.

I watched a lot of TV tonight. Bad me! Bad!

One of the shows was about the Mars rovers, and they showed the people that worked on them, and the sheer number is crazy! They had a huge team just on the landing gears alone. Anyway, it made me think about how we need a lot of talented scientists and engineers to make projects like the Mars rovers program, space shuttle, etc, and then it made me think about how our country doesn't encourage math and science in school. Just thinking about SMC in general, most people (outside of the Academy) don't major in science, unless it's biology for pre-med or nursing. More like, people don't seem to major in the physical sciences. So it makes me wonder where JPL and NASA do get their scientists and engineers, and could there possibly be someone who would be a brilliant scientist/engineer that could figure out a major breakthrough and propel the field beyond measure who is instead utilizing his/her gifts to figure out how to make more money for a major heartless corporation? Makes me wonder, should I have stepped up to the challenge back then? I mean, I kinda had the brains for science in high school. But then college came and it wasn't as easy anymore, and it certainly wasn't fun, and I was having a hard time going beyond the big picture into the nitty gritty of juggling numbers. And yes, art has been something I've loved and wanted to do since I was a kid. So I do think I'm fulfilling my calling, but a part of me wonders if I was suppose to instead be doing something "benefitting mankindl," beyond entertainment.

I mean, I won't be saving lives, advancing scientific fields, or helping the disadvantaged, at least not directly. Entertainment is a big part of our lives, but I wonder if it should be, and I'm trying to be a part of something that sucks up big chunks of time and distracts us from our everyday lives. I mean, I wonder if the people working for the tobacco industry are happy with themselves. Okay, movies not as dangerous as cigarettes, but I'm sure we all agree that Americans, on the whole, do watch too much TV and movies.

And on a different note, I paid off my parking tickets today. Yeeee-aaaa-ouch. I'm not sure what I can do to make more money these days. I really hope I don't have to resort to a loan.

No comments: