Sunday, January 09, 2005

Starbucks lingo

Yep, I do know everything on that list. Though if someone hasn't ordered a Mocha Valencia or a Cinnamon Spice Mocha in awhile, I tend to forget the details on the number of shots or syrup. Well, mainly between the two. So is my job hard? Not really. The hard part's memorizing everything, but there's a pattern, so once you get that down, then it's really not that hard. But there is definitely a learning curve where for the first few weeks, you just plain don't know anything. Add to that, you've got regulars that have really specific drinks. I remember at my old store, this lady would order a grande caramel macchiato, extra hot, with extra-extra-extra caramel. And I would joke back, "So you want a little macchiato with your caramel?" Heh heh.

The new Chantico drinking chocolate is... interesting. Y'know how sometimes you feel like having chocolate syrup straight out of the bottle? It tastes a little like that. My co-workers for the most part don't like it cuz it's so rich, but many have taken to experimenting. I think adding a shot of espresso and some milk and a dollop of whipped cream makes it less overpowering.

And that blurb he/she wrote about hating making Frappuccinos... well, for some reason, I agree. I don't know why. I think a lot of it does stem from the Frapp rush which comes from hordes of teeny-boppers invading your store (and leaving no tip!). And during one of those rushes, you just feel like a machine. There's no artistry involved in making the Frapp. It's just mix together and blend. I suppose that's why that is one of the first things you learn when you start to work there.

The slideshow is progressing. I came upon a picture of myself as my sister's bridesmaid, and I debated putting it in the show. I guess it's a little weird to put myself on center stage like that. Even for a few seconds.

Yesterday my parents and brother visited me out here in Santa Monica. It was cool to have them see where I've been living the past 4.5 months. Of course, if I had more time, I would've cleaned up my room. Ahhh... stuff to leave off 'til later. My dad, predictably so, fixed the loose towel rack in my bathroom. When he went to visit my sister, he spent many hours fixing stuff, too. It's kinda funny, but it's one of those endearing traits about my dad. I mean, as much as he frustrates me, he is my dad... and sitting in that iffy vegetarian korean buffet, I realized that I wouldn't trade my family for anything.

Well, that's about that last "hearfelt" statement you'll get from me in a long time. Drink it in, folks.

No comments: