Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Okay, I just got back from work, so I'm going to rant a little.

I know that human beings are self-absorbed by nature, but honestly, customer service shows you just how self-absorbed people are. I mean, a lot of people assume that the drink you're working on is their drink, and if you're putting something in there they don't like, they automatically speak up, even though it's not their drink. I mean, most people do specify which drink is their's and then tells me stuff if they forgot to tell the register person, but sometimes, people just repeat the same stuff they told the register person, even though 1.) it's written on the cup, and 2.) most likely I heard them cuz I'm standing right next to the register, and 3.) we ask if we're not clear on an instruction.

Anyway, the other day, I'm making a few drinks on the bar, one is a non-fat chai and the one after that's a regular latte. Well, I pour the non-fat into the chai, then grab the regular milk to put in the latte, and then I hand off both drinks. The lady says, "I wanted that non-fat." I reply, "It is non-fat." She replies, "No, I saw you holding the regular milk pitcher. You used regular." I reply, "Yes, for that other drink (I point to the drink on the bar)." She replies, "No... you used regular."

Now, at this point, I really felt like arguing with her about how she was now insulting me by saying that not only did I mess up, but now I'm lying about it. And I felt like saying to her that she's not the only customer, and she has no idea how I do my job, she can't possibly see behind the bar, and dammit, I made that drink correctly. Buuuuuuuuut, I can't. That pesky customer service thing. That and it was just easier to remake her drink.

Hey, I make wrong drinks somewhat frequently. Well, when it's busy and I'm tired or if the register person wrote the directions funny. There are plenty of times as I'm calling out the drink I realized I put in the wrong milk/syrup/shots/etc. And usually, I say, "Oops, I made that wrong, let me remake it." Never have I made a mistake and then lied about it. (Well, I do have to admit there are times I fudge a bit. Like, if I ran out of whole milk and I need an inch more, I use non-fat. And vice-versa. For the most part, people won't even notice. There was that time someone wanted a frappuccino and we ran out of regular, so I made her a decaf cuz I figured it's too easy to tell the difference with a light.)

Of course, if that incident had happened today, there's no telling what might have happened. The thermostat broke and the room was a WARM 90+ degrees. And the store is naturally humid from all the machines. Yes, it was miserable. The only relief came from when the door opened and fresh, cold air from the outside came in for a few seconds. I was miserable. Luckily I wasn't tired and miserable. Then I'd be, "what, you callin' me a liar? You wanna go outside, lady?" Heh heh.

No comments: