Sunday, January 11, 2004

Schedule for next week:

Mon -- 4:00 to 10:15 pm
Tue -- 8:45 am to 1:00 pm, LA SIGGRAPH meeting
Wed -- 4:15 am to 9:00 am
Thu -- no work
Fri -- 12:45 to 5:15 pm
Sat -- no work
Sun -- 10:00 am church

Two things today:

So the LA Fitness by my house has this deal where you can get a one-week pass for free. However, you can get a two-week pass instead if you pay a reserve rate, which is a percentage of the membership due, and at the end of two weeks, if you want to join, you just pay off the balance or else you can get a refund.

To start off, LA Fitness is a niiiiiiice gym. They've got a heated pool among other things. However, they are just waaaaaay too expensive. But... well, in order to get the two weeks, I did the second option. My question: was that stupid of me? I have every intention of not joining this gym, but I wanted an extra week's worth of access to that pool and the yoga and pilates classes, etc. I just hope I'm not getting myself into trouble.

Second thing, this involves what happened at work:

So this afternoon, I got woken up by my cell (yeah yeah, I was asleep in the afternoon) and it was "T", a lead at my store, and I guess you could call him the VIP of leads since he was the store manager's right-hand man since the beginning until recently when we got an assistant manager. Anyway, this is the guy who's only 19 or 20. Anyway, he asked me if I wanted to take over someone's shift tonight, not mentioning anyone in particular. So I say yes.

Cut to the end of the shift tonight. We were almost done when this older couple bursts in the door. They are the parents of "F," who's shift I took over tonight. They came to pick up F from her shift. We informed them that she didn't work tonight. The dad just goes ballistic. Y'see, F is only 16, and still a minor. The dad yells, "How can you lose track of a 16-yr-old?" See, he was blaming us for not taking responsibility over her. Y'see what happened, right? F pulled a fast one over her parents. Apparently, the mom dropped her off at the store at the beginning of her "shift" so it seems she lied about not working. But I guess F isn't smart enough to realize that if she wanted to keep up the ruse she ought to have come back before her shift "ended" or else called her parents up and told them that she left early and got a ride with someone, etc.

Anyway, after I told my co-workers that it was T that had called me and that I had no idea I was taking over F's shift, they all cracked up. Apparently, F has a thing for T, and she's absolutely ineffective at work when T's present. I could almost say vice versa, too. We were talking about how T should be careful since in California, if they should do the horizontal mambo it's considered statutory rape.

Anyway, it was an upbeat ending to our shift. I mean, it will suck for F and possibly even T, but for us witnesses, it was just hilarious. I just hope I don't get caught up in the middle of any trouble. We were joking about how we'll know what happened if F is allowed to show up for work the next time.

We did wonder something, though. I mean, since F is a minor, who is responsible for her? I mean, since she didn't even set foot in the store, is Starbucks responsible for her whereabouts? Technically she was scheduled to work, but she never clocked in. This is probably one of the reasons why people don't like hiring minors. I don't know the specifics of work permits, though I worked when I was 17. I'm trying to think what I did then, but I don't remember getting anything 'cept a physical.

No comments: