Thursday, August 10, 2006

Back then after I told my parents that Whateley and I were engaged and wanted to tie the knot in Vegas, my mom asked me why I had to get married there, and after I replied it was cheap and easy, she asked why it had to be cheap and easy and why couldn't we wait until our careers had started and we could save up enough money to have a more expensive wedding in SoCal. My response had been, we want to get married now and I didn't want to wait until my career settled.

Good thing I did, actually, since my internship is winding down without a job prospect in sight, and my job search for a foot-in-the-door is not going well. At this rate, if we had waited, we wouldn't have been even able to set a date by now.

(And to make it worse, I wouldn't even qualify for Whateley's health plan that he is now qualified for which will kick in as soon as the higher-ups get around to making up the paperwork.)

So how goes the job search? Crappy. Crappy crappy crappy.

Part of my problem is what Whateley and I discussed briefly today: we are both not willing to sacrifice our time together to focus on our careers. However, I've also realized that we do need to set aside some time at least to focus on it, or else I'll be whining about lack of job prospects for years to come. Anyway, the point is that we both want family to be first. Now, we're not going to squirt out a kid anytime soon, but we both want our careers to be such that when the time comes, we can afford kids and still have time for them.

My other issue is that I'm always frickin' tired. My failed attempt at donating blood last week showed that I was 1% below acceptable iron levels, which is okay but bordering on anemic. My sleep pattern is weird due to our weird schedule, which means that we're going to sleep when the earliest commuters are waking up, and sleeping through most of the morning/early afternoon. And apparently, my being able to sleep like the dead doesn't pass over to Whateley as soon as we got married. So we're always griping about being tired.

(On that iron note, Whateley now thinks I'm crazy and obsessed over raising my iron levels but has consented to buying salmon burgers at Costco, which he has admitted tastes "not fishy." All I can say is, salmon's good for you. Now I'm trying to figure out how to donate blood without driving all over southern California.)

2 comments:

SuperLefty said...

sorry, don't want to be a damp rag, but eating too much costco salmon (which is usually "farmed" vs. "fresh") is not good. so, be careful. you shouldn't eat farmed salmon too often...i think, it's supposed to be only a couple times a month. more on that later.

황명록 beno hwang said...

i have a few comments:
1) yah, superlefty's rt: farm.raised salmon's aktually bad 4 u; so be careful!!! seriously!
2) i totally respekt ur steadfastness to keeping marriage n' family 1st, above career. that u just don't find 'nuff nowadays... i know that makes me sound like a frickin' "conservative," but i'm not... it's just the whole sex & the city crowd has made family values sound like a frickin' republikkkan thing, when u know... it has nuthin' to do w/ politiks... it's good to care 'bout ur marriage n' family.
3) in the end, it was totally fine u got married in vegas. uhm, the ceremony was a bit short; but i had a great time in vegas... n' that's saying 'lot cos i don't usually like vegas!