Friday, August 25, 2006

Wow, lots of posts this week. I've got a lot on my mind, and it hasn't helped that I haven't had a day off in nine days (and won't for three more days!).

So here I am, sitting in a dark room at Zoic, some people around, and it's basically my last day. I get to come in once more for an evaluation, but that's it. My time here is kaput. It's kinda sad... even though I really won't miss the runs. (I don't mean diarrhea, I mean the delivering.)

What's next? Don't know. Through that friend that got me the freelance gig, he gave me some more work which might not end up paying since they might be impossible-to-track shots, and they pay by the shot, not the hour. But other than that, I'm officially on the prowl for a full-time job. And I'm still trying to get a job at Whateley's company. So far, no word, but then the guy's been on vacation for a week.

================================================================

The thought that's been plagueing my mind lately is whether or not I want to go the freelance route. I mean, if I don't get any more gigs, then my choice is made for me. But I did a pretty good job on that G-Unit stuff, and I've got a good chance that this place will call me again if any more tracking work comes up. And through that friend I've got more leads on possible tracking jobs in the future.

But that's what's annoying. It's all in the future and it's all uncertain. And I'm not even talking about actually getting the job. But whatever the case, if I end up with a job at Whateley's company, I don't want to just quit on them, since they are a major game company and I want to end up in their art department ASAP, and I don't want to ruin my chances with any bad blood. So if I end up working there, I'll be working steadily doing non-artistic but entry-level stuff for a company I want to work for. But if I go the freelance route, I'll be doing actual artistic stuff (stuff I can put on my reel), but I'd have to do temp work (or worse, retail...) in between to keep a cash flow going. It's a risk, a bet, but I have to go one way or the other, because in the world of freelance, you don't get to put in a two week's notice. They call you and you can either do it or not, at the time they want you or not. Like I said, I don't want there to be any bad blood between me and Whateley's company. And quitting in a hurry can create bad blood.

So if the world-wide-web-audience want to chime in an offer some thoughts or suggestions, please go ahead and comment!

2 comments:

SuperLefty said...

hehe. you used "bad blood"...it makes you sound all wannabe thuggish.

hey, you have to show some initiative. get out there and make some contacts. be confrontational...but in a good way. ") i know you have the skills. you just have to make known that you have the skills in person.

and, hmm...fix your sleep schedule and the temp thing won't seem so bad. and don't worry about the "bad blood" stuff until you're actually called in for interview/job offer. i think we both tend to worry about spoiled milk when we haven't even got a cow yet. mixed metaphors, i'm sure. good luck! ") YOU CAN DO IT!

황명록 beno hwang said...

ain't this just 'nother example'f how... well, in skool, when u'r a kid u have 2 choices: be good n' study or be bad n' not study. however, now that we're in "the real world..." wow, the diff btwn the rt choice n' the wrong choice is quite blurred. what cms rt might aktually be wrong n' vice versa. *sigh* sorry, i don't know what to tell u.