Friday, August 04, 2006

I called, left a message this morning, no word yet. So....

I applied to be the gnome's co-worker today. It would majorly suck if I can't get a job there. And once they get their new building, it might get easier to schmooze with their art department.

It hasn't been too busy at my internship. The kitchen lady (who's more of a kitchen-and-all-around-custodian-lady) didn't come in today, so the receptionists gave me the task to empty out any full waste baskets. I agreed with a smile but fell a little pissy inside. I went up to the other intern (who was next to an artistic supervisor) that I went to 7.5 years of college to take out the trash of a visual effects company. (The artistic supervisor then remarked that he's a community college drop-out. Heh. But he's cool, so that statement was a bit funny.)

Anyway, Whateley called not too long after, so I vented to him, to which he replied, "Why didn't you use that as an excuse to talk to the artists?" I could've killed him. Why? Cuz he was right. (I hate it when he does that.)

I mean, I don't need an excuse to talk to the artists, they know I'm an intern and they fully expect someone like me to talk to them. But here's one thing I found about myself awhile ago. I'm a coward and non-confrontational. And while there's absolutely nothing confrontational about talking to artists, I feel shy. Like I'm bothering them. There's another intern who's so much better at this. His artistic skills are so-so (pretty good but I'm not sure if it's good enough... either that or his reel doesn't really reflect his skillz) but he's so comfortable just approaching people and talking with them. Me? I can fake it. And I can chat very well in a networking/forced-to-socialize setting. But when it comes to talking to people while they work.... Ugh. I had to pick an industry that requires networking like mad.

So in the end, they will take a chance on the gregarious intern with the so-so skills, but I don't think they'll take a chance on an intern whom they've only gotten to know as the delivery girl. Sigh.

I should rename this blog as "Sigh." I seem to do that a lot.

No comments: