Saturday, February 28, 2004

Boo-Yah! Take that, you sneaky little spyware! It took me two weeks, almost to the exact hour, but I finally bested your Spaniard!

Apparently, two weeks ago, while I was... perusing for files of a "downloadable" nature, I managed to download and install some sort of spyware. It caused my cpu usage to shoot to 100% whenever I tried to open any windows. Anyway, I looked up online (using another computer, of course) to figure out what was wrong, and basically, I found out it was either spyware or adware and downloaded a couple of programs to get rid of it. Well, they got rid of a bunch of stuff that I didn't even know was on my computer, but my cpu problem still lingered. So I looked more online and found out that these programs don't get rid of all the spyware on my computer. So I physically looked and found some suspicious executables. So I deleted those and still the problem existed. Then I found out that certain .dll files can cause this problem. So I looked through all the .dll files on my computer, found a few suspicious ones in my windows directory, and proceeded to rename them one by one til I found the culprit.

That totally worked!

Anyway, I ended up deleting related files (files that were installed at the same time, or were from the same company... damn you roing.com!), but mainly it was this one .dll file that once I renamed, solved everything. So this is the first time in two weeks that I've been able to do anything on my computer. Gotta be careful from now on.

So yeah, the entries from the past two weeks have been from school. Anyway, I can now finally catch up on all the stuff that I wasn't able to do. One of the things that I've been meaning to do is send an e-mail to a couple of co-workers who are not more than 2 or 3 years younger than me, and sending them a link to a video of the commercial from the late 80's of the Britannica Boy.

OKAY, y'all remember the Britannica Boy, right? "I've always wondered where my mandibula was...." Remember??? I remember in 5th grade of this one kid who got new glasses and complained that he looked like the Britannica Boy! I can understand maybe the 20-yr-old not remembering, but c'mon!

No comments: