Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Doh! Common HTML posting mistake: failing to close a tag.

My schedule for this week:
Tue -- school
Wed -- 1:30 to 6:30 pm
Thu -- free day, hanging out w/ Robert
Fri -- 12 to 5:45 pm
Sat -- 7:45 pm to 12:45 am
Sun -- church, then 4:15 to 11 pm

Can't get myself to be productive....

I feel a little guilty about my job. Basically, I am enticing people to spend a lot of money on stuff they shouldn't consume. I mean, yeah, I'm not exerting sales pressure or anything like a used car, but (in my friendly way) when people lament about the calories and fat and sugar and such, I just say, "Y'know, you can't think about that stuff when you come in here." But there are rather obese people that come everyday and order huge frappuccinos, and there are so many kids that ask for extra caramel, and when they look at the tall size (i.e. the "small") they say, "Hey, could I get something bigger?" and adults come in with their kids and they're more concerned about the caffeine content of their kids' drinks than their nutritional value. And today (or was it yesterday?) I saw an overweight woman (who was probably obese but I didn't get a chance to see the lower half of her body) who ordered a venti frappuccino of some type and then gave her daughter, who seemed about three years of age, a grande (medium) strawberry-and-creme frapp, and this little girl was sucking down that drink. Now, she was too young to be overweight (she did have a tummy, but a kiddie-tummy and not a gut), but I can see why obesity tends to run in families (genetics-besides). I mean, a lot of kids whine for larger sizes but most of the parents I've noticed orders the tall for their kids (unless they're teens), so I was rather surprised that this woman ordered a grande for a girl that probably wasn't old enough to whine for larger sizes. People are rather surprised that our "kids" sizes are so small (they're the "short" cups, yeah, there is a counterpart to the "tall" size), but they are 8 oz cups. More than enough for most small kids.

My church has decided to apply for membership in the Southern Baptist Convention. I'm just hoping it's not the same one as the one with Jerry Falwell. So far I hear no. (shudder)

No comments: