Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Through my old roomate's blog, I found out that one of the hapkido instructors (well, technically the wife of the head instructor) back in my days of Berkeley has breast cancer. Her blog which is fascinating. I hope she'll make it through okay.

City of Heroes is a fun game. I even managed to come out of it tonight without getting nauseous. Yeah, I think I get motion-sickness from video games with a lot of first-person scenery. (The character is always facing the same direction, but the scenery moves... like first-person shooters except the character's in front of you.)

My main character is a Batgirl-esque character, stemming from Robert's supergroup led by his Batman-esque character. Her costume's a bit slutty, I realize, cuz I was going for an overall aesthetic effect and ended up with a... well, a slutty outfit. I wonder what that says about me. I will post screen shots soon.

I've been creating characters just for kicks, mainly just for looks. It's kinda like doodling or playing with a complex Mr. Potato-Head. I think the appeal (about superheroes in general) are that they are an extension of your fantasy self. These characters can be as tall or muscular as you want, wear stuff you can't find or don't dare, and they can be of any color. That's another thing. With my Batgirl character, I was trying to make her skin tone a tannish color so that she looks like a cross between a tanned white girl and a fair Asian girl. Well, I must have picked wrong cuz she just looks pale. It was making me think about if my fantasy self was Asian, or if I'm like the negative stereotype that all minorities secretly want to be white.

I've been trying to find a link, but so far all I have is this:
Candorville

U-Comics

Try to look at the August 3rd comics for both Candorville (which I remember as Lemont Brown from the Berkeley days) and La Cucharacha. I just thought "La Cucharacha" was funny cuz I was at work when I read that. And "Candorville" just made me think about how my parents must see me. Sigh.

Tired. Must sleep.

No comments: