Tuesday, March 25, 2003

Can somebody please shut these celebrities up??? And can we shut these people that respond to celebrities up??? Why do we give celebrities all this power? They're frickin' entertainers, people! Last I checked, very few of them are even qualified to talk about the war. So they can sing, dance, and recite lines. Umm... have they studied political science and public policy and world diplomacy? Most of them barely finished high school, much less college!

I could care less what these celebrities think about the war. I don't care what people were or were not wearing (accessory-wise) at the Oscars. Though I do have to say that I really liked Renee Zellwegger and Jennifer Gardner's dresses.

One thing I have been thinking about: I think I am a coward. I remember saying (jokingly) that if they ever drafted women, I would flee to Canada or even get myself a bun in the oven. Or use my friend's father's excuse when his number came up for Vietnam. He just complained and whined about migraines during boot camp 'til he got dismissed.

Anyway, I do have to admire enlisted soldiers (as well as police officers, fire-fighters, CIA agents, etc) that are willing to die doing their duty. I am such a wimp. I mean, I know that nobody wants to die, but I don't know if I'd be willing to die for my country. Or for anyone. I thank God I probably won't ever be asked to, but when the time comes, I think I'll turn tail and run away. Was Jesus afraid when he knew that he going to die for the sake of others? Was he afraid to die in general? I mean, at least he knew it was coming, he knew his purpose, and he knew what he was doing is his Father's will. But as the time of his crucifixion was approaching, did he dread the hour when he would breathe his last? (Well, until the resurrection, of course.)

When I come face-to-face with death, how will I react?

No comments: