Monday, April 07, 2003

I do have to admit, getting out of Berkeley definitely lessened my liberalism. But I am not a right-wing conservative!

Recently I caught the Woody Allen movie Everyone Says I Love You on TV (it's cute, a musical comedy, with an ensemble cast including Alan Alda, Goldie Hawn, Drew Barrymore, Julia Roberts, and Natalie Portman). Alan Alda's son suddenly turned into an extreme right-wing conservative, to the dismay of his liberal Democrat father. Anyway, some of the things that the son spouted was school prayer and and no gun control.

And no, I don't support forced school prayer, and I do support gun control. Perhaps even banning firearms among civilians altogether. And even though I'm a Christian, I don't think forced school prayer does anything except alienate those that are confused or deciding. It's kind of a tough subject for me: evangelism. I mean, Christ commands it, but whenever I try to do it, it backfires. And a lot of it backfires. So I think that forcing school prayer doesn't help our cause any better than the non-Christians.

Just a thought.

No comments: