Wednesday, April 23, 2003

I gotta watch out or I'm going to develop a (bigger) swelled head. My teacher complimented me a lot in class (costumed figure drawing) today. He said that I steadily improve every week. I think some of that is due to the other drawing class I'm taking (figure in motion, where every other week we have nudes), but I think a lot of that is due to just getting back in the swing of things. I mean, yeah, my drawing has improved over stuff I did in Berkeley, but when I started this class this semester, I hadn't done any figure drawing in 2.5 years. I was rusty and it showed. It took me a few weeks to get back to where I was before. But Doug (the teacher) saw it as improvement.

Also, (forgive me for my arrogance) I think I am one of the best, if not the best, draftsman of the class. That only tells you how crappy a lot of the students are. Many people have never taken an art class before, nevermind a figure drawing class. You see why it's too easy to get a swelled head. The drawing ability of the other class is much better (I think because it's actually titled "advanced figure in motion"). Anyway, I just have to realize that I should seek to make my drawings better than my own, rather than of others'.

Reading Christine's Blog makes me want to have a pet. :Þ

No comments: