Thursday, May 01, 2003

I just finished watching Manor House on PBS. I really love those "House" series they've been having (1900 House, 1940's House, Frontier House) and I dare say that they've been getting bolder with each new series. (And that "dare say" just popped out cuz the show took place in Britain and everyone had thick accents.) Anyway, the premise of this show was that for three months, a family (the Oliff-Coopers) were going to live as a lord and lady of the manor, and then they'll have a dozen volunteers be the servants. The whole thing is about the dynamic and the strict social heirarchy that existed in Edwardian England, between the upper class, as well as inside a manor home. It was really fascinating. Since the family isn't the stars of the series, they're seen as basically what masters are: arrogant, demanding, clueless, and all-around bastards. And they're completely clueless to the fact that the servants feel that way about them. I thought it was funny. But then I felt sad for that family, cuz then in the real world, the viewers are going to hate them, and they were just behaving as anyone else would in their situation.

Anyway, soon the Colonial House project will start up soon (I know cuz I saw the audition notice on the website awhile back.), but we probably won't be able to see that one 'til next summer.

No comments: