Tuesday, May 25, 2004

So I'm guessing all my legions of fans have been watching Colonial House with me. It's not quite the same as many of the other "House" series because this is less about the lack of technology and more about the strict lifestyle of the colonial times. I think the series is focusing less on whether or not they can do the tasks set before them but more on whether they can adopt the attitude of the times and live by those rules. It's kind of painful to see the negative portrayal of Christians (from both non-Christian and Christian point of view, I think), but it's also tough to compare our modern views of evangelism through love and encouragement with the societal brute force as was the case back then. Last two episodes of the season tomorrow (er... tonight?)!

I'm trying to think what they can go to next, and in terms of American history, colonial times is as far back as you can go, I think, without resorting to pre-written-history. I think England's doing more society-related series. I remember reading about a project related to the Regency era and the various society laws and games that everyone played back then. I'm thinking it'd be cool to do a "Native American House" project where halfway through the project the US Army will ride in and herd everyone into reservations.

Okay, more later on other goings on in my life, but my schedule for this week:

Tue -- school, then SIGGRAPH
Wed -- 11:45 am to 3-ish, I'm not quite sure
Thu -- school
Fri -- 8 am to 1 pm, then drive to San Jose
Sat & Sun -- San Jose!

No comments: