Thursday, April 06, 2006

I was looking at the White House website which talked a lot about HSAs (Health Savings Account) and there was a lot of info. And yeah, basically HSAs are good for people that are healthy & wealthy. Here's the way I see it: HSAs require you to have a high-deductible insurance plan. But what if you can't afford to buy a high-deductible plan in the first place? And they talk a lot about the leftover money rolling over from year-to-year. But they don't address, what happens if you don't have enough money in your HSA to cover your deductibles? How the heck are you going to put money away in an HSA if you can barely pay your rent? How are you going to pay for your health care when you have chronic medical conditions which will now cost more to treat?

Yeah, HSAs, that will solve all our healthcare problems.

(Ironically, HSAs would help me out since I had one of those high-deductible plans when I worked for Starbucks, and I barely went to the doctor since the co-pay was so high. But I'm thinking about my future. And diabetes and cancer runs in my family. And I've been developing worsening health problems. Sigh. If only I was a rich, white male. Then Bush would be favoring me. )

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As Paton Ozwald said so eloquently in his comedy CD, "Feeling Kinda Paton." "Are you rich? No... well then Bush f#$%ing hates you then."

BTW I'm considering switching my name to something Gnome related, as I'm a World of Warcraft Gnome and proud of it!

황명록 beno hwang said...

my company provides me with an fsa (flexible spending account). i think it's the same thing as hsa except it also includes dcsa (dependent care spending account), which is for kids.

i get health insurance for kaela n' me from werk. when we get healthcare or whatever, the insurance takes care of whatever it's s'pposed to. then, i fax in a receipt 4 whatever i had to pay. then the fsa admin company direkt depo$its $$$ into my acct.

oh yah, from each paycheck i get a certain, set amount withheld. then the $$$ that the fsa admin company gives me comes from that.

i have to use my fsa $$$ by the end'f the yr or else lose it. aktually, i guess we have until march'f the following yr to use it. *shrug*

what sucks 'bout fsa's that u need to have the $$$ to spend b4 u can spend it... that is... let's say kaela wants to get lasik. we've gotta 1st save up 'nuff $$$ to pay 4 the lasik, n' then we've gotta pay 4 the lasik ourselves. then @ the end'f the yr, i can get reimbursed. i guess, if u have a healthcare provider that is willing to bill u later, then it helps.

whatever $$$ u set aside from ur paycheck, it doesn't collekt interest or dividends or nething. it just sits there. the whole pt'f fsa is that u get ur healthcare tax free. that's all.