Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Ach, no comments! I am not loved!!!

Anyway, so I have now been to all four of my classes. I kinda feel guilty, like I should take more, but right now I'm at 11 units, ideally I want 12 but there aren't any good 1-unit classes, and besides, one 2-unit class seems like a 3-unit one. I was late to school today partly due to me leaving late, but also there was a lot of traffic on the way in. Damn rubberneckers. So even though I left roughly the same time as Monday, I got here about 20 mins later. I repeat, damn rubberneckers.

Then it threw me to see a friend of mine sitting in the front row, because I had just seen him on Monday and he didn't mention that he was taking this class. So I got confused and thought I was in the wrong room. So I spent another 5 mins verifying that yes, that is the room. So not only am I late, but I look stupid. Greeeeeaaaaaaat.

Alrighty, so my class schedule is as follows:

M 1-4pm: Web Animation (w/ Flash) -- Though the first third of the class is stuff I've done before, I've got hopes that I'll be able to learn something.

M 6:30-9:30pm: Storytelling -- Like I've said, guest speakers=nice, too much homework=not nice

W 12:30-4:30pm: Storyboard 1 -- (This is the 2-unit class! Every other one is 3!) From the looks of it, we'll be watching a lot of movies and discussing them, and we'll be storyboarding. Kinda like "Directing 101"

W 6:30-9:30pm: Beginning Digital Editing -- Due to a misprint in the catalogue, I thought this class was going to be Motion Graphics, i.e. AfterEffects. However, it'll be mostly Premiere, some AfterEffects, and a little bit of FinalCut Pro. For those of you that know, I took a year of digital video, which was an intense learn-as-you-go experience with Premiere. So... I'm kinda iffy about what I'll learn in the first month. But then, it has been two years, and it can't hurt to learn actually how to use it rather than, "I want to do ________ and I don't know how!" "Well, figure it out."

So that's it.

(I think part of the reason why I have a hard time communicating with that friend -- who's now in two of my classes! -- is that he's from Korea and he's only been here for a little over a year. He's taking his last ESL class this winter, so he told me to talk to him only in English so he can practice. Y'see, he's got a Korean roommate who's only been here 5 months so therefore his English sucks and he only has Korean friends, and he's got a Korean boss with a Korean business that has only Korean clients. So it's kinda odd having to speak slowly so he can understand me, and repeating myself repeatedly, but I have to try hard to understand his broken English -- cuz it don't matter how much ESL one takes, if you've got an accent, you've got an accent. Meanwhile, his roommate et al just smile and don't say a word around me cuz they're embarrassed by their English and doesn't think that I understand Korean.)

Y'know, even though SMC got reamed by the budget cuts, I'm still surprised by the number of students here. I guess the quality of the teachers do make a difference. My editing teacher works at Sony Imageworks, and my storytelling teacher was dropping names like missiles on Iraq. It's convinced me that I did make the right decision in making the loooong trek here twice a week. After all, I could've signed up for classes at Mt. SAC. They've got a computer animation program. Heck, they all do. (And what would be funny? I'd be in the same school as one of my Starbucks leads.) But I really doubt that any of the teachers over there have had the professional experiences that this school's teachers have or are having.

Another long blog. Please comment!

No comments: