Tuesday, August 26, 2003

This morning's opening shift wasn't as bad as I thought. For the first 45 mins, all we did was get the store ready. And oddly enough, there was a customer waiting for the store to open at 5:30. The crowd was light, and things were pretty easy. And I had absolutely no parking problems. Around 7 am the morning rush came in spurts, but all-in-all, it wasn't bad at all. By the time I left around 9 (I made myself a Venti Iced Mocha -- three shots of espresso!) the real morning rush was pretty heavy.

Yeah, it was disturbing to start work when it's dark. When I left, 90% of the other stores in the shopping center weren't even open. But... well, it was kinda nice. Sure, I've been up for almost six hours now, and I'm tired, but it's kinda cool to have accomplished something before most people have even woken up.

As for school, I think it'll be good this semester. I crashed a Flash class, and I'm first on the waiting list, so I'll probably get in. SMC is stupid in that they don't have automatic waitlists, at least not for Academy classes. (Ah, I miss the days of Berkeley.) So it started out as 9 people trying to take 3 seats, and then a few people moved to laptops and a few people wanting to add didn't stick around at the end, so it ended up 3 people trying for 2 seats. And I was the odd one out. But there was one guy who didn't come and the teacher couldn't get ahold of, so if he doesn't show up next class, then I get his seat. If anything, I figure if I stick around enough, then I'll eventually get a seat. After all, I don't have a unit quota to fill. (Speaking of which, the F-1 visa students now have to maintain 12 units for the semester. It's caused a bit of desperation with the foreign students, and there are surprisingly a large number of foreign students at SMC.)

The second class is "Storytelling." One of the books we have to read is Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud, so Christine, thank Alex for me for giving me that book. (I think it was a Christmas present?) Part of our homework this week is to watch "Enterprise." Someone yelled out, "Could we watch a better show?" Haha. Yeah... that show does need a lot of work. But I've been rather loyal to the Star Trek franchise since I got into TNG during high school. Heck, I even went to see Nemesis in the theaters. Anyway, the exciting part of the class is the guest speakers. And at our next class, the speaker will be... Alison Arngrim! (She played Nellie Olsen on "Little House on the Prairie.")

Anyway, before I end this entry, for those you that don't know, "snoogins" means "just kidding," and "snooge" means something like "that's cool" both are references from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. And DrWhateley would like the rest of you, my gentle readers, to respond to his whacked out comments. So comment away, please!

No comments: