Thursday, July 17, 2003

My uncle (weh-sam-choon) and his wife (weh-soong-mo) and my aunt (ee-mo) came from Korea on Tuesday. My uncle is a riot. He was a ship captain way back when and he used to go back and forth from the US. So his english ain't too bad and he loves the chance to use it. He also loves to drink, though he can't too much cuz of his health. Anyway, I wasn't home last night (I was hanging out with Robert and Mike, and we finished out our adventure for Mage, a fun RPG that's completely focused on story-telling and role-playing.) so I didn't get a chance to "have a nightcap." But we did tonight, 'cept that we did it right after dinner. We had dinner kinda late cuz we were swimming, and when there's four in a pool, it takes awhile for everyone to shower afterwards. I went last and ended up a prune. On a side note, the weather's been horribly hot and muggy, but this 100-degree weather has one benefit in that by the evening cool, the pool has been heated nicely.

We watched "Pirates of the Caribbean" last night. Johnny Depp was so over-the-top that it was rather good. Well, the story was corny, but... the movie is based on the ride! Of course it will be corny! It's a comedy, after all. Or if it wasn't meant to be, well, it's one now! They had a lot of references to the ride which made it cool. For example, they had Ruby from the Buy-a-Bride auction, though there wasn't an auction in the movie. And... alas... let's face it, Legolas is hot... Orlando Bloom is not.

Sorry this is jumping all over the place, but here's one thing I learned: when having a drink poured to you from an older person (or at least one deserving of respect) you must hold your glass with both hands. I remember being taught to receive things with both hands as a kid (though it's not so strictly upheld here) but I didn't know it also encompassed drinking ettiquette. I'm not sure if we'll be drinking much tomorrow night since we all have to go to bed early so we can get up at 4 am the next day.

One more thing: at my sister's wedding this Saturday (I can't believe it's already here!) I will be meeting my cousin's kid for the first time. Since I'm like 16 years older than him, he can call me "aunt" though based on the English system he's a first-cousin-once-removed. Funny though that I've got first cousins that are younger than him. But suppose my sister has a kid in a year. (Suppose... ok?) Then that kid and my Uncle Steve's 6-month-old would only be a year-and-a-half apart. But they would be considered first-cousins-once-removed. Yep, it's a complex system. My friend brought her first-cousin-once-removed to church last Sunday. She calls my friend "ee-mo." They are only 8 years apart.

Eh. It's too confusing. Though the main thing here is that this kid will think of me as an "aunt." Trippy.

No comments: