Saturday, July 12, 2003

Oops, I meant to post something this past week, but I just got too lazy.

The camping trip was fun last weekend. It was 15 of us at Hungtington Lake for three days and three nights. Well, two-and-a-half days. And the last day, Sunday, we woke up (that is, Erica woke me up) at 5:45 am to get on the road by 6:30. That's the earliest I've been up in... years. Well, except for when I pulled all-nighters. I've never swam in a lake before. And once you get over the algae-covered rocks the layer of algae floating on top, then it's pretty cool. I do have to admit that I couldn't help adding more algae-food to the water. Hey, once that cold water hits you, you don't have control over your bladder!

The last night we built a huge bonfire using a bug-ridden log. Fun.

This past week was spent in the pits of insecurities as I continued my search for a job. I hate the phrase, "We're not hiring right now, but we're accepting applications." If I was ever in charge of a retail store, I would say instead, "We're not hiring right now, but you can fill one of these applications out and we'll be sure to glance at it as we throw it in the garbage." I thought I had prospects at a newly-opening EB Games, but no. Apparently, being fully-staffed means that you should put up a sign saying "Now Hiring!" I think I impressed the manager at Color-Me-Mine, except that they have no openings. Sigh. If I'm still jobless in two weeks, I'll go in there and see if they really might have something open. (Yeah right.) Then yesterday, I called the Starbucks and pretty much made an ass out of myself talking to the manager lady. Well, not an ass. I came off as desperate, but I doubt that she really even cared. But at least I said my name (said it's spelled weird, which might trigger her memory when finally looking over the applications) and hopefully she's willing to hire the stink of desperation.

I know that God gave me all this free time to do something productive. But so far the only thing that's happened is that my skin got darker as my hair got lighter (I got my hair done yesterday) which is giving me this weird tonal appearance. I actually took a Maya book with me to the salon, but I chose to read their Vanity Fair instead. It's up to God whether or not I get a job. But I think God wants me to have a job. I know I have to do my part in looking for it, but I get so discouraged. Sigh. Perhaps He is telling me to keep working on art while looking for a job. Don't put my entire focus on the job search.

This is a long one.

No comments: