Wednesday, October 08, 2003

Stupid enetations! You can't click the submit button more than once, or reload the page, without it posting your comment multiple times. Erg.

Anyway, I don't know how God works, and I'm not sure if he's telling me something, but it turns out, the two classes I have on Wednesdays does not physically require my presence next week. I mean, I'd be missing out on valuable work time and I'd have to call other people for the homework assignment, but I don't have to turn anything in next week. So that means that I can skip next Wednesday to attend my store's holiday meeting.

Yep, I'm skipping school to attend a meeting. Aye caramba.

The store manager stressed that it's reeeeally important, and that if I do miss it, then I'd have to spend a couple of hours with her one-on-one to make up for it. Other people are just going to skip their classes, but they don't drive all the way out to frickin' Santa Monica.

Funnily enough, the guy who I sit next to in my Storyboarding class turns out is a lead at a Starbucks in Culver City. He's a lead there, but he says that he's been there too long and looks at it with the same cynicism that I'm starting to cultivate. It makes me feel better, though, cuz it seems like 4 out of the 5 leads at my stores are waaaaay too gung-ho about Starbucks. And the one lead that's not is the second-in-command, so he can't really express his cynicism.

What Dante, the guy in my class, told me was that in his store, and at various stores around Hollywood and LA, they get celebrity regulars. For instance, John Travolta used to be a regular at his store. So when he asked me if we had any celebrity regulars, I just replied, it's Chino, the closest person we've got to a celebrity is the mayor. (Not that I even know who that is, though he did come on the news when that whole thing about The OC was going on.)

Y'know what I'm thinking? I oughtta transfer to a store in Hollywood or LA. Cuz in addition to celebrities, producers, directors, and scriptwriters are regulars at some stores. And as I've learned for weeks at my Storytelling class, the key to getting employment is networking.

But... I'm sure you see the problem here. There's no way I could afford to live on my own on Starbucks wages. Even if I do sell my pound-o-coffee-per-week on the side.

No comments: