Monday, October 20, 2003

This week's schedule:

Mon -- School
Tue -- 7:30 am to 12ish (forgot the exact time)
Wed -- School
Thu -- 4:15 to 8:45 am
Fri -- 4:15 to 9 am, church activity at 7:30 pm
Sat -- nuthin' though I've been called in to work the past two weeks
Sun -- church

I am soooo old now cuz I've hurt my back... again. I think it was when I reached for something high and I over-stretched a muscle. Ouch. My dad massaged it last night (more like abused it) but it felt ok this morning. It just got worse in the air-conditioned school building.

Last Saturday I picked up a shift at the store in Chino Hills. Even though we're only like a mile apart, there's a big world of difference. For one thing? People tip better. I can certainly understand why they figure it's an additional buck an hour. The last two times I picked up my tips, it was less than that. The clientele there is different, too. The ethnic makeup of our two cities are similar, but instead of Mexicans, they have Asians. And lots of Koreans. I've never seen so many Korean customers in the six hours I was there.

There's also news regarding my church that most of you won't care about. But nevertheless, I have to write about it. Though it's still tentative, there may be a split at our church. More like, the EM (English Ministry -- basically the 1.5 to 2nd generation English-speaking Koreans) is going to split away from the church. Oof. I'm leaning towards leaving with them but not without hesitation. After all, I do have history there, even if there isn't much loyalty. And my parents attend the KM (Korean Ministry), even though from what I hear things ain't very Christian. One of the things that Paul (the apostle, St. Paul to the Catholics) really frowned upon was gossip, and unfortunately, Korean culture is rampant with it. It would take severe, conscious effort to get rid of it, and they haven't made any move towards it. Even my mom hates that the only thing they do whenever there's a get-together is gossip.

But I thought, ok, we're separate ministries, I think ours is very Bible-oriented and people are making a big effort at Paul's request (Romans 12:1-2), I feel people are actually growing spiritually there. However, we learned that the politics of the KM have been leaking into the EM, and things have come to a showdown.

I really hope we don't have to tear our congregation apart.

BTW, yes I'm a hypocrite. I'm not like the church I attend. But I'd rather attend this church than a more liberal one, just cuz I know this church can keep me from going overboard. But I like my role as wrench-thrower just so that the other people around me aren't just taking the conservative stance cuz the church is.

************

(huff puff) Whew, dodged the bullet there! I forgot that my parking meter had run out an hour ago. I rushed out and luckily, no parking ticket! Whoo-hoo! I think I'll end my blog on this happy note. :)

No comments: